A vibrant hub of culture, adventure and world-class attractions, you might be surprised at what you can get up to during a weekend in Dubbo.
1. Get your weekend off to a delicious start with a trip to Dubbo’s famous Farmer’s Market. With a selection of fresh local produce including fruit and veggies, meat, bread and preserves on offer, we guarantee you won’t leave empty-handed!
2. Take a wander through Dubbo’s Regional Botanic Garden, a natural paradise that’s home to a vibrant collection of plants and flowers.
3. Make sure to leave enough time to explore the Shoyoen Japanese Garden. Comprised of trickling streams, cherry blossoms, and a traditional Japanese tea house, it’s a little slice of Japan in the middle of central NSW.
4. Get up close and personal with animals from all across the globe at Dubbo’s most famous attraction: Taronga Western Plains Zoo.
5. Feeling brave? Feed one of the zoo’s three tigers as part of the Big Cat Encounter.
6. Or if it’s the gentle giants of the animal kingdom you’d prefer to encounter, hand-feeding the giraffes might be more your style!
7. Can’t get enough of the zoo? Have the ultimate African safari experience by staying over at the luxurious Zoofari Lodge. You’ll visit the rhinos by torchlight, indulge in a delicious African banquet for dinner, wake to the sounds of lions roaring, and watch the elephants get their morning bath – all without having to leave Dubbo!
8. Refuel for another big day of exploring Dubbo by popping into Press Café for brekky. This uber-chic café prides itself on making a cracking coffee, and the menu may just tempt you to stick around for lunch…
9. Step back in time for a tour of the Old Dubbo Gaol, a Victorian-era maximum security prison that is said to harbour the ghosts of prisoners past.
10. While the prison is spooky enough during the day, test your wills by joining the after dark ghost tour – definitely not for the feint-hearted!
11. For a much lighter way to spend an afternoon, head to the Western Plains Cultural Centre. This contemporary and well-curated gallery is undoubtedly the cultural centre of Dubbo.
12. There’s nothing like a country sunset, so why not take it all in from the banks of the majestic Macquarie River?
13. Dubbo may not seem like the best place to find tasty authentic Thai food, but dinner at Westbury Thai will certainly change your mind about that.
14. Our pick of the menu? The traditional green curry just can’t be beat!
15. Dream of your Dubbo adventures from the comfort of your cosy bed at the Outback Cellar. This former wine-cellar-turned-loft-style-apartment is well-appointed, spacious and stylish, culminating in the perfect environment for a blissful overnight stay.
16. From the plains of the African savannah to the cells of the Old Dubbo Gaol, there are adventures galore to be had in Dubbo, so what are you waiting for?